We're showing information about textphones, click here to view NGT Lite information.
Making a call using a textphone
If you wish to carry on using the service using your textphone to make calls, that's fine. With NGT, you can still make calls in the usual way using Voice Carry Over (VCO).
Making a 18001 call using a textphone
- Dial 18001 followed by the phone number of the person you want to call.
- On the textphone screen, you'll see ‘NGT ring ring', then:
- ‘NGT Answered, please wait for connection',
- ‘NGT Waiting for a free relay assistant', then:
- ‘Connected to Text Relay please wait'.
Making a Relay Assist call using a textphone
- Dial 0870 240 9598 (calls to this number cost 1p per minute plus your phone company's Access Charge).
- On the textphone screen, you'll see ‘NGT Please type the number you want to call GA'.
- 3. Using the textphone keyboard, enter the full phone number of the person you want to call. Do not use Voice Carry Over at this point.
- You'll then see ‘NGT Waiting for a free relay assistant', then ‘Connected to Text Relay please wait'.
- The relay assistant will then ask you for the name of the person you want to call and, once connected, you can speak directly to the hearing person by using Voice Carry Over. As the hearing person will hear your voice, there's no need for the relay assistant to relay what you say.
- The conversation will carry on this way until one of you ends the call.
Making an emergency call using a textphone
- In an emergency, dial 18000 to get through to:
- Fire service
- Coast guard
- Mountain rescue
- Cave rescue
Your conversation - Speak & Read
It doesn't matter if your call is going via a relay assistant or the other person is typing direct you read the conversation on your textphone display. To speak to the other person you need to switch your textphone to voice. Please refer to the Voice Carry Over (VCO) section in your textphone manual.
Hanging up a call - phone
At the end of a call simply hang up your phone.