We're showing information about textphones, click here to view NGT Lite information.
Answering a call using a textphone
- When your textphone flashes or rings, follow the instructions in its user guide to answer the call.
- On the textphone screen, you'll see ‘NGT waiting for a free relay assistant', or ‘NGT connected text to text' if the call was made from a textphone.
- If the call is from a telephone user, you'll then see ‘Connected to Text Relay, please wait'.
- Once you're connected, you can speak directly to the hearing person by using Voice Carry Over in the normal way. As the hearing person will hear your voice, there's no need for the relay assistant to relay what you say.
- The relay assistant will then type the response from the hearing person so you can read it on your textphone display.
- The conversation will carry on like this until one of you ends the call.
Your conversation - Speak & Read
It doesn't matter if your call is going via a relay assistant or the other person is typing direct you read the conversation on your textphone display. To speak to the other person you need to switch your textphone to voice. Please refer to the Voice Carry Over (VCO) section in your textphone manual.
Hanging up a call - phone
At the end of a call simply hang up your phone.