Making a call using 18002 or a TextNumber
- To call a text user, either dial 18002 followed by their phone number or dial their TextNumber. A relay assistant will be connected automatically.
- You'll hear several automated announcements to let you know that the other person has answered and that you're waiting for a free relay assistant. The call will then be automatically connected to a relay assistant who will relay both parts of the conversation between you and the text user.
- If the text user has good voice they can speak to you directly and if they can hear, they'll be able to hear your voice.
Making a call using Relay Assist
- To make a call using our Relay Assist service dial 0870 240 51 52 (calls to this number cost 1p per minute plus your phone company's Access Charge).
- You'll hear an automated announcement asking you to enter the number to call on your telephone keypad. Once you've done that you'll be connected to a relay assistant who will ask you for the name of the person you want to call and they'll dial the number you've entered.
- Once connected the relay assistant will relay both parts of the conversation between you and the text user.
- If the text user has a good voice they can speak to you directly. And if they can hear, they'll be able to hear your voice.
Your conversation - Speak & Hear
Simply use your phone as you usually do. If the other person is deaf and speaking to you you might need to make sure you're in a quiet environment without distractions.
One of the benefits of NGT is that the text-user has both the voice and internet connection in parallel. This means that they might speak to or hear you while a relay assistant types or reads the conversation. If you're new to text relay the relay assistant will manage the flow of the conversation.
Hanging up a call - phone
At the end of a call simply hang up your phone.