We're showing information about textphones, click here to view NGT Lite information.
Making a 18001 call using a textphone
- Dial 18001 followed by the phone number of the person you want to call.
- On the textphone screen, you'll see ‘NGT ring ring', then:
- ‘NGT Answered, please wait for connection',
- ‘NGT Waiting for a free relay assistant', then:
- ‘Connected to Text Relay please wait'.
Making a Relay Assist call using a textphone
- Dial 0870 240 9598 (calls to this number cost 1p per minute plus your phone company's Access Charge).
- On the textphone screen, you'll see ‘NGT Please type the number you want to call GA'.
- Using the textphone keyboard, enter the full phone number of the person you want to call.
- You'll then see ‘NGT Waiting for a free relay assistant', then ‘Connected to Text Relay please wait'.
- The relay assistant will then ask you for the name of the person you want to call. At this point you might want to let the relay assistant know that you plan to use HCO. Once connected, you can type your conversation and listen to the response directly from the hearing person.
- The conversation will carry on like this until one of you ends the call.
Making an emergency call using a textphone
- In an emergency, dial 18000 to get through to:
- Fire service
- Coast guard
- Mountain rescue
- Cave rescue
If you want to use HCO on an emergency call, it's very important you let the relay assistant know straight away so they understand how the conversation will go.
Your conversation - Type & Hear
It doesn't matter if your call is going via a relay assistant or you're typing direct to the other person. To hear the other person you need to switch your textphone to voice. Please refer to the Hearing Carry Over (HCO) section in your textphone manual.
Hanging up a call - phone
At the end of a call simply hang up your phone.